ZocdocAnswersCan two of my children to have the same disease?

Question

Can two of my children to have the same disease?

If one of my children was born with a rare disease, what are the chances that (if my partner and I choose to have another child) the next child would have it too? I don't understand how these risks are passed on.

Answer

It is impossible to tell you specifically what the inheritance patterns of a particular disease would be without knowing what disease you have in mind. This is because each disease has its own specific inheritance pattern. For example there are X-linked genes, which have a higher chance of being inherited if the child is male. There are recessive conditions, which require both the mother and the father to be carriers of the gene in question. In these cases, about 25% of children will have the disease and another 50% will be carriers. Finally there are dominant conditions, where children in every generation of a family is likely to be affected by the condition in question. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination and interview by your personal physician. If you are concerned about a specific disease that you may have or be carrying, you should discuss this with your primary care doctor.