Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Can syphilllis cause a runny nose and chronic cough?

Can syphillis give you a cough and a runny nose? How far along in the progression of the disease is it before that happens? I'm a 31 year old woman and I'm worried I have the syph but I couldn't have been exposed to it more than a few months ago. I do have the cough and nasal drip, though.
Anytime you think you may have been exposed to an STD, you should see a qualified health care professional right away. In this case the best type of physician for you to see is a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. Syphilis infection results in 3 stages of disease. The primary infection causes a painless ulcer near the genital area that may or may not be noticed. A month to six months later, secondary syphilis can occur which causes fever, sore throat, weight loss, and a diffuse rash. People probably do have a cough and nasal drip as well, but these would not be the symptoms you would notice the most. There is a manifestation of congenital syphilis (acquired from an infected mother) where babies develop the "snuffles" which is a runny nose that finally results in nasal deformity. You would have noticed it a long time ago if you had any signs of congenital syphilis. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Perhaps your doctor will decide to order one of the syphilis blood tests to see once and for all if you have been exposed.
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)