What medications can improve focus?

I'm in my late 20's and it's getting harder and harder to concentrate on anything. I don't know why this is happening, but is there a medication I can take to set it right? I'm trying not to overreact, but I've tried changing my diet and exercise, and nothing helps. I can't think straight.
The first step in dealing with your inability to focus is to schedule an appointment to see your primary care doctor. This is important because there are both treatable medical conditions as well as psychiatric problems that can cause lack of focus, and the treatments are different for each. For example, hormonal imbalances such as thyroid hormone problems can cause difficulty with focus and fatigue. There are also often changes in the skin or hair and weight gain. This is a very common medical problem that is easily diagnosed after simple blood tests your doctor can perform. One of the most common psychiatric problems that causes lack of focus is depression. This is also characterized by loss of interest in activities, sadness, changes in sleep, appetite, or sex drive. It can be diagnosed by your primary care doctor and treated with various antidepressants. Another common psychiatric condition that can cause lack of focus is adult attention deficit disorder. This is characterized by distractibility, problems with impulse control, and emotional swings. This condition is more common in people who had symptoms of ADD as children or teenagers, and it is usually treated with stimulants like Ritalin. It would be worthwhile to discuss your concerns with your primary care doctor to see what treatment options are available for you.

Nearby Psychiatrists

Other Psychiatrists