ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of adult ADD?

Question

What are the symptoms of adult ADD?

I'm in my late 20s and I'm trying to figure out if I have adult ADD. I've read a little about it, but it's hard for me because I have trouble reading, or doing anything for longer than a few minutes at a time - except playing sports, which usually really centers me. What does this mean? How would I know if I have adult ADD?

Answer

Any time you have a problem that you think is interfering with your ability to function in your daily life, you should seek attention from a doctor. The best type of physician to get an initial evaluation from is a primary care physician such a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. Adult ADD has symptoms that are similar to childhood ADD and they include inattentiveness, distractibility, procrastination, and difficulties with self motivation. Many adults that have ADD had it as children as well. Problems caused by adult ADD often cause issues at work where there is a need for people to initiate and complete tasks. In terms of your symptoms, having trouble reading can be caused by ADD, but it has other causes as well including dyslexia. Having trouble doing anything for longer than a few minutes is possibly a sign of adult ADD. These would need to be differentiated by your doctor. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history of your troubles with attention and perhaps give you a test that looks for adult ADD. Depending on the results of the history and test, your doctor may give you a trial with anti-ADD medication. Good luck.