ZocdocAnswersWhat causes attention and memory loss in adults?

Question

What causes attention and memory loss in adults?

I am in my mid 20s and I've never heard of anyone having exactly my symptoms: it just feels like my brain goes too slowly. I'm really slow at remembering things, especially faces and names, and half the time I can't remember at all. I basically just feel 'high' all the time, and I can't pay attention to daily tasks. What is happening to me?

Answer

Any time you develop symptoms like these that cause problems with your daily life, you should seek attention from a qualified health care professional. You may warrant a consultation to a neurologist or psychiatrist, but it may be best for you to first see a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. There are a some possible explanations for your symptoms. There are certain vitamin deficiencies that can cause mental slowness. These are usually seen in people that have very poor diets or consume large amounts of alcohol. Another possibility is adult attention deficit disorder. This could explain your symptoms of being unable to pay attention or finish tasks. People with this disorder also have trouble remembering people's names, because of lack of attention. There are many other possible causes of your symptoms that would need to be looked into. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perhaps give you a mental status exam or a test for adult ADD. You may warrant referral to a neurologist or psychiatrist for evaluation of your mental function. Good luck.