How can one control anger?

Of all of the people in my life, my mother is definitely the most likely to fly off the handle. I don't know if it's at the level of 'mental illness,' but she just has these fits of anger that she can't seem to control. Should I try to get her to go to a doctor for this? How can she get better?
Any time you feel that a loved one may be suffering from a mental illness, you should always encourage them to seek help from a qualified health care professional. In this case, you mother may start of by seeing a primary care physician such as a family doctor. Uncontrolled anger is problem that has a part in many mental illnesses. It is a spectrum of possibilities ranging from a normal response to an unfavorable situation, to an explosive personality with reactions to things that should not make people that angry. One of the most common mental diseases is depression. Some people that are depressed act out through anger at situations that should not make them that angry. There is also a mental disease called intermittent explosive disorder in which people act out angrily at almost anything. Some people with this condition respond to medication or counseling. I suggest that your mother schedule an appointment with her primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history of her symptoms and discuss your mother's perception of the problem. If her doctor determines that she is depressed, then anti-depressant treatment can be started. She may warrant referral to a psychiatrist for further evaluation.

Other Psychiatrists