Does prednisone cause anger issues?

I am an older woman with Crohn's disease and I have been on a heavy dose of prednisone for several months. Some of the worst side effects are fading but I find that I am develping a serious anger management problem. Is this a side effect of the prednisone or is something else happening?
Prednisone is a steroid, and like all steroids, there are side effects associated with these medications that are important to know about. Steroids can cause increased blood sugar, and gastric ulcers, and so it is important to follow your blood sugar (especially if you have a history of diabetes) and to take your medications with food and also a medication to protect the lining of your stomach (proton pump inhibitor etc). Long tusallyerm usage can cause changes in the fat distribution in your body (buffalo hump), changes in your facial appearance (moon face), changes in your skin, and high doses can cause changes in your mood. The biophysical reasons for these changes are beyond the scope of this discussion. With long term and high dose steroid usage, there is a higher risk for having these side effects. Because your doctor is prescribing high dose prednisone for your Crohn's disease, you may consider discussing with your doctor the side effects that you are noticing and having a discussion about whether or not there are other possible treatment options available. Many people are unable or unwilling to tolerate the side effects of high dose steroids and often there are other treatment regimes available.

• Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723