Does epilepsy cause anger issues?

My partner is epileptic and he also has the worst fits of anger I have ever seen in anyone. He's 32 years old. I am wondering - could there be a connection? I don't want to assume everything is about his epilepsy, but this just seems unnatural the kind of anger he has.
Any time a loved one has health issues that are effecting them or their relationship with you, it is never a bad idea to consult with a qualified health care professional. In this case, it is probably best for your partner to pose this question to the physician that treats his epilepsy. There are many side problems that epileptics deal with. Anger outbursts by themselves are not a recognized effect of having epilepsy. However, that does not mean that the two are not related. Depression is a mental condition that very frequently effects epileptics. People suffering from depression can occasionally have fits of anger that cannot be explained by any other problem. There are people that have a condition known as intermittent explosive disorder. This is where people have uncontrollable outbursts of anger at seemingly trivial life events. Only his doctor can tell for sure which is the most likely reason for these outbursts. I suggest that your partner schedule an appointment with his epilepsy doctor. He or she can discuss the anger issue and determine if there is a possible connection. If the two seem unrelated (as I suspect they are), then he may warrant referral to a psychiatrist for further evaluation and treatment. Good luck.

Other Neurologists