ZocdocAnswersIs Alzheimer's diagnosed with a blood test?

Question

Is Alzheimer's diagnosed with a blood test?

I'm a man in late middle age, and I'm worrying that I'm beginning to see symptoms of Alzheimer's in myself. Is there a blood test I can take to determine whether or not I have this? Honestly, I'm afraid of getting the scans, because I'm claustrophobic and terrified of getting brain cancer from the radiation.

Answer

Alzheimer's is a degenerative brain condition which is the leading cause of dementia in the world. The condition leads to progressive loss of cognitive function, coupled with social impairment. There is no cure for Alzheimer's disease. Currently Alzheimer's disease is diagnosed clinically. This means that there is no imaging test, urine test, or blood test that is helpful in diagnosing Alzheimer's disease. May times, if your doctor suspects Alzheimer's disease they will first performs a series of lab test to rule out other reversible causes of dementia, such as syphilis, vitamin deficiencies, and thyroid disease. Blood tests may be a part of this rule out work up. Active research is under way to discover a blood test that will be useful for diagnosing Alzheimer's disease. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor if you think you are developing concerning symptoms is highly advised.