ZocdocAnswersDoes Alzheimer's cause seizures?

Question

Does Alzheimer's cause seizures?

I'm caring for my father who has sever Alzheimer's disease. Recently, he had a tonic-clonic seizure, and I don't understand what this has to do with his disease. Is there a relationship between Alzheimer's and seizures, or are we dealing with multiple problems?

Answer

This is excellent question. Many people have questions about the diagnosis and the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your father's primary care doctor or his neurologist. Alzheimer's disease is a degenerative brain condition which is the leading cause of dementia in the world. The condition leads to progress loss of cognitive function coupled with social impairment. There is no cure for Alzheimer's disease. Very importantly, Alzheimer's rarely causes focal neurological symptoms, such as seizure or weakness. These symptoms are much more likely to be related to another medical problem, such as an infection or a tumor. New onset seizures in an elderly male is a very concerning symptom that requires urgent evaluation either by his primary care doctor or in an emergency room. If he is lethargic, appears different from his baseline, or has any focal residual symptoms he should be brought to an emergency room. As always the diagnosis and the management of your father's particular concerns will require a physical examination by his personal physician. Setting up an urgent office visit with his primary care doctor or bringing him to the emergency room for evaluation is strongly advised.