ZocdocAnswersCan Alzheimer's interfer with sneezing?

Question

Can Alzheimer's interfer with sneezing?

I have mild cognitive impairment, and I'm doing everything I can to keep my brain in good health so that I don't develop Alzheimer's. Recently, though, it's like I have stopped sneezing and I just can't?even when I think I'm going to. I know this sounds ridiculous, but can Alzheimer's make you forget how to sneeze?

Answer

Alzheimer's disease is a degenerative brain condition which is the leading cause of dementia in the world. The condition leads to progressive loss of cognitive function coupled to impaired social function. There is no cure for Alzheimer's disease. Although Alzheimer's has many symptoms, it is highly unlikely that interfering with the sneezing reflex is one of them. In the very advanced stages of severe Alzheimer's disease, patients do begin to lose the control over some basic reflex actions, such as swallowing and gagging. However it would be very unlikely for such a thing to occur in the early phases of Alzheimer's or any other dementia syndrome. There are many reasons for feeling you are going to sneeze but not actually sneezing. Mostly likely this is just your own body repressing the sneeze reflex. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is advised.