ZocdocAnswersDoes Haldol worsen Alzheimer's?

Question

Does Haldol worsen Alzheimer's?

I read recently on a website that it's a bad idea for someone with Alzheimer's disease to use Haldol. Is this true? It's important to me because my mom has been on Haldol for years (and it's working well for her,) but she was just diagnosed as having the first stages of Alzheimer's disease.

Answer

Alzheimer's is a degenerative brain condition whih is the leading cause of dementia in the world. The condition leads to progressive loss of cognitive function, coupled with loss of ability to function well socially. There is no cure for Alzheimer's disease. Sometimes antipsychotics such as Haldol are used in patients with Alzheimer's disease. There is some research that suggests that people with Alzheimer's who begin antipsychotics have shorter life expectancies and experience other complications. Therefore, they should be used cautiously in these patients. However, if there is a strong indication for them, such has another condition (which sounds like might be your mother's case), then they can be used under the direction of a physician who knows your mother well. As always the diagnosis and the management of your mother's particular concerns will require a physical examination by her personal physician. Setting up an office visit with her primary care doctor to discuss these issues is advised.