We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

Are diabetes and Alzheimer's disease linked?

Is it true that having diabetes puts you at a much higher risk for developing Alzheimer's disease later in life? I have Alzheimer's disease in my family, and I'm only 29 but I have been diabetic since I was 13. What are my chances?
Many people have questions about the diagnosis and the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor and your neurologist. Alzheimer's disease is a degenerative brain condition which is the leading cause of dementia in the world. The condition leads to progressive loss of cognitive function coupled with severe social impairment. There are no screening or diagnostic tests for Alzheimer's and there is no cure. Although the causes of Alzheimer's disease are multifactorial and not always clear, it is well known that multiple factors associated with chronic disease increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease. These include diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, smoking, and high cholesterol. Although having diabetes alone does therefore increase your overall lifetime risk somewhat, the best preventative strategy includes maintaining good control of your diabetes and also making sure other factors, such as blood pressure and cholesterol, are maintained under good control. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.

Other Neurologists