ZocdocAnswersWhat causes pelvic pain and spotting?

Question

What causes pelvic pain and spotting?

I'm a woman in my mid 20s and I sometimes feel really tender around my pelvis and sometimes aroud my vulva, too. What is this? Does it have anything to do with how I occasionally am spotting for no reason, not close to my period? What's wrong with me?

Answer

These are good questions. All the symptoms you are experiencing may not be related, and you shoul probably talk to your primary care or OB / GYN doctor to help you sort things out in closer detail. Pelvic pain is a complex symptom, and it can be caused by many things, including sexually transmitted infections, endometriosis, and menstrual cramps. if the pain is severe or sudden, or if you have fever or other concerning symptoms, you should seek immediate medical evaluation. If there is vaginal discharge or odor, or a history of unprotected sex, this makes a sexually transmitted infection more likely. If the pain mostly occurs around your menstrual periods, then it is more likely to be benign cramping. Pain around the vulva is usually accompanied by other signs, such as redness or irritation. The most common cause of vulvar pain is probably irritation from cleaning products or a certain type of underwear. Yeast infections, often accompanied by a thick white discharge can also cause this. Finally, spotting between periods is a very common problem and usually benign. A small amount of spotting with ovulation is normal (this occurs midcycle), and people who use contraceptives such as birth control pills also sometimes have midcycle spotting. Once again I would suggest beginning by talking to your primary care doctor to help sort out your symptoms.