ZocdocAnswersWhat causes cold symptoms for months?

Question

What causes cold symptoms for months?

I have had swollen glands and some othe rcold symptoms (sore throat, snot with a little blood in it) for over 4 months. Clearly this is more than a cold. What is it? How can I get better?

Answer

The most common cause of a sore throat, cough, and rhinorrhea (snot) is nasal allergies, or allergic rhinitis. This causes inflammation of the nasal membranes, nagging cough with sputum production and sore throat. It is easily treated by medications that can be prescribed by your doctor. A related condition that is also quite common is chronic sinusitis. This occurs when the sinuses in the forehead and cheekbones become clogged with mucus and inflamed. This produces pressure in the head, headache, cough, and congestion. Again there are excellent medical treatments for sinusitis. If you have fever, chills, weight loss, or significant blood when you cough these may be signs of a more serious problem and you should seek immediate medical care. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor as soon as possible is strongly recommended.