search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What causes small bumps on the cervix?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat causes small bumps on the cervix?

Question

Why would a woman feel a number (5 or 6) of small bumps on her cervix? MY first thought when I found them was that they were some kind of cyst, but they go away for about half the month, then come back when I'm ovulating. What are these things? Are they a problem?

Answer

There are several possible causes for this finding. The most likely is something called a nabothian cyst. This occurs when the surface cells of the cervix block off a cervical mucus gland, leading to a collection of mucus underneath the blockage. These get larger with the ovulatory cycle, when the cervical glands produce more mucus. They are benign and do not require any treatment. However, two things that might require treatment include, first, small collections of endometriosis on the cervix. These also will fluctuate with the menstrual cycle and can be uncomfortable and a sign of endometriosis elsewhere in the body. Finally, cervical cancer is unlikely but the most concerning possibility that must be ruled out by an examination of the cervix and probably a pap smear or colposcopy. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your OB / GYN doctor is strongly recommended.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.