ZocdocAnswersWhat causes ovarian pain?

Question

What causes ovarian pain?

I have a dull ache in my ovaries that I have not been able to diagnose properly. It's in both ovaries and it sometimes goes away for a little way, but it's usually there. I've never had a child before, I'm in good shape, not a drug user, eat right, etc. What is this pain caused by?

Answer

Any time you develop pain or discomfort in your pelvic area, you should be seen by a qualified health care professional. In this case, you should be seen by a primary care physician such as a family doctor or an OBGYN. A dull ache in your pelvic area can have many different causes. If the pain comes and goes according to the time during your cycle, then your pain may be menstrual related. Uterine conditions such as fibroids can cause a dull pain that gets worse over the your menstrual period. Fibroids are benign tumors that form in the uterus and cause heavy menstrual bleeding and pelvic pain. Ovarian pain can be caused by ovarian cysts especially if they are large. Cysts that are large enough to cause symptoms typically do not happen in both ovaries at the same time, but it is definitely possible. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN, whoever you see for you feminine health. He or she can take a detailed history of your symptoms can perform a thorough physical exam. Afterwards, your doctor may decide to perform a pelvic ultrasound to rule out an ovarian cyst. Good luck.