Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Can prominent muscles feel like breast lumps?"

ZocdocAnswersCan prominent muscles feel like breast lumps?


I'm a young woman and at the top of both of my breasts, I can feel sort of a bump. It's not very prominent but I still worry about it. Could this be cancer, or is that just the shape of the muscles under my breasts?


There are muscles that are located under the breasts, called the pectoralis muscles. Especially in thin athletic women these can be prominent just in the location that you have noticed. Also in thin women, sometimes the underlying ribs can be palpated and feel prominent. The fact that the bumps you have found are symmetric in both breasts makes them much less concerning and much more likely to be just what you think they are. Some other common breast conditions in young women that can be bumpy like this include fibrocystic breast changes, which can be symmetric, and which feel like ropy or lumpy and bumpy areas in the breast. In short, there are several good explanations for these findings other than cancer. However, for peace of mind, it is probably worth while to show these areas to a doctor. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is advised.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.