ZocdocAnswersWhy would a woman have stringy vaginal discharge?

Question

Why would a woman have stringy vaginal discharge?

I'm a young woman and my vaginal discharge is like thick mucus. It's stringy and sticky and I'm wondering what this means. I'm sure it's not an STD because I'm a virgin. I don't have any other symptoms of infection or anything. What could this be?

Answer

This is an excellent question. Many women have questions about the normal functioning of their reproductive organs. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. One important point to make is that all women have vaginal discharge and mucus, and that this is usually a normal part of the functioning of your body. In particular, mucus can become prominent or thick and sticky at various points during your menstrual cycle, and this too is normal. If you have copious vaginal discharge that frequently soaks your undergarments or has a foul odor, this is different and should be checked out. A common cause of this is bacterial vaginosis, which can be treated. Also it is worth remembering that any genital contact, not just intercourse, can result in a sexually transmitted disease. Therefore although you are a virgin, if you have ever engaged in any sort of sexual contact you may still be at risk for a sexually transmitted infection. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be recommended.