Click to book now:

What causes a woman to stop having her period?

I'm not sexually active, and I'm definitely not pregnant, but I haven't had my period in more than 6 months. What could cause this? I'm 26 years old and in good shape. Sometimes I have cramping but no bleeding at all. Should I see a doctor?
Anytime you have a disturbance in your periods, you should seek attention from a qualified health care professional. In this case, the best type of physician to see is a primary care physician such as a family doctor or a specialist such as an OBGYN. The medical term for periods that stop is amenorrhea. Although pregnancy is the most common cause of amenorrhea, this does not seem to be the case here. If there is any question at all, then you should take a home pregnancy test. Another very common cause of amenorrhea is weight loss and intense physical exercise. If you exercise a lot every day and/or have lost a lot of weight recently, then this could be the cause. If you have cramping but no blood, there may be a blockage in your cervix from scare tissue (called Asherman's syndrome). This can occur after you have had a procedure on your uterus. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN. He or she can take a detailed history and perform a thorough physical exam. Your doctor may decide to order some blood tests as a part of your work up. Hopefully something from the tests will direct your doctor towards the cause of your amenorrhea. Good luck.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)