ZocdocAnswersHow can one get rid of dark circles under eyes?

Question

How can one get rid of dark circles under eyes?

What is the best way for a young woman to get rid of perpetual dark bags under her eyes? I'm completely sick of people telling me that I look tired and ill when I'm not. I use makeup, but it's never enough. What can I do?

Answer

The skin under the eyes is some of the thinnest skin in the body. Therefore typically the dark blood underneath shows through some, giving it a darker appearance. The best way to treat this is to improve the health of the skin, through rest, moisturizing, and toning facials. If these do not work it is also worth considering a few medical conditions that can cause darkening of this skin. By far the most common is allergic rhinitis, or nasal allergies, or allergic conjunctivitis, or eye allergies. These result in puffiness and inflammation of the tissue around the eyes and they can be easily treated with medications prescribed by your doctor. Another condition is melasma, which is a gradual darkening of the skin below the eyes and on the cheeks brought about by collections of pigment cells under the influence of female hormones. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is advised.