ZocdocAnswersDo allergies causes bumps on hands and fingers?

Question

Do allergies causes bumps on hands and fingers?

What are these bumps on my hands and fingers? They're light-colored with a white-grey dot at the head, but they don't pop or break. They all sprung up really suddenly a few days ago, but I can't think of anything I might be having an allergic reaction to. Should I see a doctor?

Answer

It is a little difficult to visualize the bumps based on your description, so probably the best solution is going to be to have them checked out by your dermatologist or primary care doctor. Do the bumps sort of look like small blisters? If so there are a couple of things that can cause this. The first is eczema or atopic dermatitis, an inflammatory reaction of the skin that is made worse in dry, cold weather. This is more likely if you have other areas of eczema on your body or if you have a history of asthma or allergies, but it can appear just on the hands also. Often the rash is itchy, and the blisters can be popped to release a clear fluid. The second possibility would be a contact dermatitis, or reaction to some thing in the environment (cleaning products, nickel jewelry, and poison ivy are all examples of this). Contact dermatitis looks similar to eczema by usually one can think of a clear association with a contact exposure. Both are treated with steroid creams and by keeping the skin clean and dry. Other more wart like protrusions, such as molluscum contagiosum, may also cause bumps on the hands but would be less likely to spring up in a day or two. Your doctor can help you sort out what the rash is and if it needs treatment!