ZocdocAnswersWhy does pressure cause stomach pain?

Question

Why does pressure cause stomach pain?

I find recently that lying on my stomach can cause my belly to ache, and I'm worried about this. I also find that if I wear tight pants, I get the same type of pain. Is this a sign of disease? I'm 22 and healthy, as far as I know.

Answer

Belly pain (abdominal pain) can be a tough thing to deal with. The best type of physician to see for this problem is a primary care physician such as a family doctor. Abdominal pain can be a sign of many different problems. It is possible that lying on your front is making your stomach acid sit on a sensitive area of your stomach. This would cause a burning pain just under your ribs. If you pain is worse after eating a fatty meal, then the pain could be your gall bladder. If you are a women, and the pain is in your pelvic area, then it could be a urinary tract infection or even an ovarian cysts. If this is the case, it would explain why the pain is worse when you where tight pants. Finally, a very common cause of abdominal pain in people your age is called functional abdominal pain. This is where your normal function of your bowel causes discomfort. All of these possibilities would need to be sorted out by your doctor. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will be able to take a more detailed history of your abdominal pain and perform a thorough physical exam. Hopefully, your doctor will able sort out what is going on in your belly. Good luck.