ZocdocAnswersDo brain tumors cause tinnitus and fatigue?

Question

Do brain tumors cause tinnitus and fatigue?

I'm a 'worried-parent' type, but I'm actually deeply concerned about my teenage daughter. She has been complaining of ringing hin her ears since last year, thogh she says it comes and goes. She also displays an unusual fatigue, even foran underslept teenage, and she seems to have memory problems. Could tihs be a sign of a brain tumor?:

Answer

This is a great question. There are a variety of possibilities that may explain the symptoms your daughter is having and so it is important that you have her evaluated by her primary care physician or pediatrician because they will be best able to evaluate her medical history, and presenting symptoms and decide upon the appropriate diagnostic workup and coordinate potential treatments if available. In terms of the symptoms she is having, although tinnitus can be a sign of certain types of brain tumors, there are other less concerning causes for this finding including hearing damage from loud sounds, ear wax buildup, stress, anxiety, TMJ disorders, as well as certain medications. There are also many causes for fatigue and memory problems that are beyond the scope of this discussion. Workup for these problems may include evaluation by a neurologist or ENT, and brain imaging studies including mri. It is not clear whether your daughter is experiencing hearing loss but they may also perform studies to evaluate her hearing. If it is indeed found to be a brain tumor, the most common brain tumor associated with hearing loss and tinnitus is called a vestibular schwannoma, which is a benign slowly growing tumor that should be evaluated by a neurosurgeon. Again, it is important that she be evaluated by a PCP or pediatrician to decide upon further treatment options.