ZocdocAnswersHow can somebody treat a large acne scar?

Question

How can somebody treat a large acne scar?

I had a big pimple on my forehead that I popped, and it seemed to make it go away? but after it scabbed over I picked the scab off, and it was in much worse shape. I kept picking at it until now, months later, I'm left with a big, shiny, pink spot. Is there any way I can get rid of this, or alleviate it?

Answer

The first step is that you absolutely must stop picking at the area. Most pimples heal pretty well on there own, and most of the scarring comes from picking at them and also picking off the scabs. As long as you keep picking, this area will not heal. If the area itches, you can apply some topical over the counter anti itch or steroid cream to help you keep from picking at it. You should also prevent further damage to your skin by using a facial moisturize and wearing sun screen when you go outside. It might be worth seeing your primary care doctor as well just to make sure the area is not infected and does not require antibiotics. Other than this, there is not much you can do until the area heals. There are a number of sophisticated techniques, such as laser therapy and dermal abrasion, that are used to deal with the scars that result from acne. However, these techniques are all meant to be used on areas of skin that are well healed, not places where there is still scab and picking going on. In the future, the most important thing you can do to prevent this from happening is not to squeeze any more pimples.