What is the best test for a prostate abscess?

I'm a 51 year old male who has a suspected prostate abscess, and my doctor has recommended that I get an MRI to assist in diagnosis. Is this the best test for this purpose? I've read a lot online about using ultrasounds for prostate abscesses.
Prostate abscess can be very dangerous. Hopefully by the time you read this you will have been diagnosed and treated. The answer to your question is that MRI and ultrasound are both able to detect prostate abscesses. In general, the ultrasound technique is employed more often because it is cheaper, quicker, and produces results faster. The catch is that the ultrasound probe must be introduced into the rectum so that the ultrasound waves can penetrate the prostate at the shortest distance possible. Thus it is possible that your doctor does not have the right equipment to do this. It is also possible that he did not feel you would tolerate this procedure because the trans-rectal approach can be very uncomfortable especially if you do have an infection in your prostate. Either way you should have one of the two imaging studies done right away (if not already). This is because if you do have an abscess, it will need to be surgically drained before it will heal. The best type of doctor to see for this type of problem is a urologist. If you are not seeing a urologist, and are uncomfortable with how your care is going, then I suggest that you schedule an appointment with one. They will not only be able to diagnose you problem, but will be able to perform any necessary procedures. Good luck.

Other Urologists