What causes fever and eye discharge?

For two days, I've had a lot of yellowish discharge from one of my eyes, along with a slight temperature. How concerned should I be about this? I've had eye discharge before, but it's never given me a fever.
Your symptoms sound a lot like conjunctivitis, and infection of the outer lining of the lung. Conjunctivitis is also known as pink eye. The question that is most important to answer is whether your infection is due to a virus or due to bacteria. This will effect what management options are best. The best type of physician to see for this problem is a primary care physician such as family doctor or internal medicine doctor. Conjunctivitis causes pain, redness, and discharge come from the eye. While yellow discharge is most consistent with a viral conjunctivitis, a bacterial infection cannot always be excluded. Treatment for viral conjunctivitis includes lubrication eye drops which can relieve symptoms. Treatment for a bacterial conjunctivitis is antibiotic eye drops. Another possibility that can explain your eye discharge is an ear infection. If you are also having ear pain or a change in your hearing, you should have that checked out as well. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a your temperature, a history of your symptoms, and examine your eye's. If there is any question of whether the infection is bacterial, then you doctor will likely prescribe antibiotic eye drops. Good luck.

• Dr. Vaughn Dobalian
    Dr. Vaughn Dobalian MD
    340 16th Avenue North
    Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024