ZocdocAnswersWhat are the latest treatments for keloid scars?

Question

What are the latest treatments for keloid scars?

I have a tendency to form hypertrophic and keloidal scars any time I'm injured, especially on my arms, neck, and chest. Can you tell me what the latest treatment for these scars is? Anything I can do immediately after a wound to reduce the change of keloiding? Thanks.

Answer

Keloid scars are a common problem, especially in people of dark skin tone. I would encourage you to seek out a dermatologist for further information on this problem. Keloid scars are an overreactive response to a skin injury. Where a normal body replaces the tear with collagen, in a keloid the body overreacts and lays excessive amounts of collagen. Preventing keloids is best done by preventing unnecessary trauma. As this is not always possible, there are some options. Early injection of steroids into the lesion may be helpful. There are also silicone gel sheets that can be placed to lessen the evolution of the scar. Treating keloids are difficult. There are many possible surgeries to remove the lesion--but most often the incision will simply again perform an overreaction and form a worse keloid. There are possible treatments your dermatologist may suggest. Steroid injections are commonly tried. There are also other ways to depress the immune reaction with other injections that can be tried. There are some dermatologist who try to freeze the keloids off (cryosurgery) although this is not widespread. Radiation and laser therapy has also been tried. What treatment really depends on location and size of keloid as well as the expertise of your dermatologist. I would strongly encourage you to see a dermatologist. Good luck!