Is it possible to remove a birthmark in the eye?

I have a bluish birthmark in the white of my eye, that I have had since birth. I'm nearly 30 now, and I'd like to have it gone for my 30th birthday, as part of a resolution. Is there a procedurefor this? Or at least contacts I can wear to cover it?
The mark that you have in your eye is likely a nevus, or mole, a collection of pigmented cells under the white of your eye similar to a freckle or mole anywhere else on the body. Generally these marks are benign and are not a serious medical problem. Therefore, most eye doctors do not routinely remove them unless they begin to cause problems. This is because all medical procedures carry a risk of infection, bleeding, and other complications. There is a small risk that a nevus will turn into melanoma, a form of skin cancer. If the mark is growing in size, irregular in shape, or otherwise changing, then this is concerning for possible cancer and is a medical indication for removing the mark. If not, then the removal would be considered a cosmetic procedure, meaning you would have a difficult time getting your insurance company to pay for it. If you do decide to go ahead with a cosmetic removal, then there are two basic options that are used. The first is simple surgical removal, in which the mark is cut out. The second is laser treatment, which can bleach out the mark and make it less obvious. You would need to schedule an appointment with an ophthalmologist to discuss these options.

Other Ophthalmologists