ZocdocAnswersDo minerals cure nerve damage?

Question

Do minerals cure nerve damage?

I have a facial tic from bell's palsy that I am recovering from. I have read that certain minerals (Dead Sea products) can help heal nerve damage. Is it true?

Answer

It sounds like you may have developed one of the complications of Bell's palsy, the facial muscle spasm. A tic is a stereotypical movement that is technically controllable but done to fulfill an urge. Tics are seen in a variety of disorders such as Tourette's syndrome, but are not seen in Bell's palsy. The facial spasm that you are suffering from can be quite annoying since you have no control over it. This sometimes happen as the facial nerve begins its repair process. While you are correct that adequate levels of minerals and vitamins are important for nerve healing. However, most people that eat a fairly well balanced diet are not deficient in these minerals, and would not benefit from taking supplements. In addition, there is nothing in dead sea products that have been shown scientifically to provide any benefit for this problem. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician (family doctor or internal medicine doctor). He or she will be able to recommend what mode of treatment is best for you. If the muscle spasms have been going on for some time, and you cannot tolerate them any more, then you may be a candidate for Bo-Tox injections to relieve your spasm until your nerve fully recovers. I hope you symptoms calm down soon.