Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

How to get rid of scalp fungus?

I think I contracted a scalp fungus, either from my barber's clippers (not going back!) or from a dirty gym towel (but that was a long time ago?) My question is how can I get rid of it? I've tried using anti-fungal shampoos and lamisil, but it just seems to be spreading over my whole scalp.
Skin conditions on the scalp can sometimes be difficult to distinguish. For this reason I think you should be evaluated by a specialist such as a dermatologist. An actual fungal infection of the scalp is known as tinea capitis. It is an infection that is related to fungal skin infections of the skin on the rest of the body (ring worm), or of the genital area (jock itch). The major difference is that tinea capitis must be treated with the pill form of anti-fungal medications (namely oral griseofulvin). On the other hand, a red itchy rash of the scalp which can mimic a fungal infection can be seborrheic dermatitis. This is a rash that develops on areas of skin which are very oily and can itch much like a fungal infection. In addition, a fungal infection can coexist with seborrheic dermatitis. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and get a good look at your scalp. If you did in fact get tinea capitis then you will need oral anti-fungal therapy. If you have something different such as seborrheic dermatitis, then you may benefit from some topical creams that can be prescribed by your doctor.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)