ZocdocAnswersAre there treatmens to recover missing hair?

Question

Are there treatmens to recover missing hair?

I was in a burn accident when I was younger that wiped out half of one of my eyebrows due to scarring. Now I'm in my 30s and would do anything if I could recover the missing hair. Is this possible through surgery or medication?

Answer

When it comes to dealing with scar tissue, hair regrowth can be very difficult. There are several reasons for this. The most important reason that hair does not regrow on scar tissue is that no new hair follicles are created in this tissue. The blood supply to this tissue is sometimes not adequate to support hair follicles. Because there are no inactive or damaged hair follicles in scar tissue, the newer medications that are used today for balding will not be effective at restoring growth in the scar tissue near your eyebrow. Your best bet for regaining some growth in the area is hair transplantation. In this procedure, some of you scar tissue may be removed and hair follicles transplanted in. The success of this procedure is variable and depends on many factors that I could not go into here. A physician that knows your current past medical history and the condition of that area of your body will be able to give you more details. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. He or she will be able to examine your eyebrow and determine if there is a surgical therapy that will work for you. Hopefully, something will work out. Good luck.