ZocdocAnswersWhat are the options for getting rid of thread veins?

Question

What are the options for getting rid of thread veins?

I have red thread veins on my cheek and I hate the way they look. Is there a type of laser surgery or drug that I can take to get rid of them? I've thought about skin bleaching too. What can I do?

Answer

What it sounds like you are describing is spider veins, or telangiectasias. These are common in fair skinned populations, especially as they age and the skin thins out. There are many treatment options for these, including injections, laser therapy, abrasive therapy, and chemical peels. Any of these would require a visit to a dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or head and neck surgeon who specializes in cosmetics. Most often these thread veins are hereditary: if one of your parent has telangiectasias, then you have about a 50% chance of having them yourself. If both of your parents have them, you are almost guaranteed. Usually, they are simply aesthetic annoyances, but they can occasionally be associated with other illnesses and syndromes. They are also common on the lower extremities, where they can be a sign of venous insufficiency, or poor blood flow through the veins taking blood back to the heart. Finally, any new skin lesion should be watched carefully for signs of growth, bleeding, or other changes. Sometimes, serious conditions can masquerade as normal things, like telangiectasias, even though they are much more ominous. The best answer for any new skin finding is to see your doctor. If you are interested in treatment options to make your skin better, a dermatologist or aesthetic surgeon would likely be your best bet to both tell you if it is serious, and how to treat it if it is not.