Click to book now:

What causes a lot of vomiting?

I'm a 31 yr old guy and I've been having a lot of stomach pain and intermittent vomiting. It comes and goes, so sometimes I'll be fine for a week, and then I'll vomit every time I eat for a few days. I thought it was indigestion at first, but it's getting worse. What is this?
Often, vomiting and abdominal pain after you eat is do to a gastrointestinal infection (such as a virus). It sounds like this has been going on for sometime, longer than would be expected for a simple infection. Thus, I think that your situation warrants immediate evaluation. If you can get an appointment with your primary care physician right away, that may be the best bet. Either way, you may warrant evaluation by a gastroenterologist. Vomiting and abdominal pain shortly after eating can have several other causes other than a virus. With symptoms of indigestion, you may have a peptic ulcer that is causing nausea and pain after you eat. Pancreas and gall bladder problems can also cause severe pain shortly after a meal along with nausea and vomiting. Both of these conditions can be seen with people that develop gall bladder stones. In addition, pancreatitis can happen in people who drink excess alcohol. People with diabetes can develop a stomach condition called diabetic gastroparesis which cause nausea and vomiting shortly after eating, though this is not often associated with severe pain. Once you go to your doctor, you will require a thorough physical exam, several blood tests, and an abdominal ultrasound to look for gall bladder stones. Hopefully, these will help get to the bottom of your issues.

Nearby Internists

Other Internists