ZocdocAnswersWhy would some foods cause stomach aches?

Question

Why would some foods cause stomach aches?

I'm not 100% but it seems like some foods (especially tomato sauces) consistently give me stomach aches. The pain from these stomach aches can get really sharp and intense, but they usually pass after not too long. How sick am I.

Answer

When certain foods make your stomach upset, its always a good idea to bring this issue up with your doctor, because there are multiple possible problems you may have. The best type of physician for you to initially see for this problem is a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. If you stomach problems are specific to tomato sauces, then it is possible that you have an allergy to something in them. This would be unusual without other findings such as hives and swelling, and you would likely fine this same reaction with foods with similar ingredients. You could have a stomach ulcer that gets worse when you eat. You could have gall bladder stone which are causing pain whenever your gall bladder goes to work after a meal. Finally, you may have an issue with your pancreas. These are all possible problems, all of which are treatable that you should get checked out. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. You can discuss in more detail which foods upset you stomach and what types of symptoms you have. You may warrant some testing such as a blood test to look for evidence of an ulcer, and perhaps an abdominal ultrasound to look for gall stones. I hope you get this figured out.