ZocdocAnswersRumbling feeling in bottom of back?

Question

Rumbling feeling in bottom of back?

I'm a woman, 27 years old, and I sometimes feel the sensation of gas bubbling or shifting, but it's down very far, almost where my pelvic bones are. Is this normal? Is it a possible problem?

Answer

Back and pelvic problems are very common. That being said, some can be serious. I would encourage you to talk to your primary care physician so reassure yourself this is no a serious condition. There are many conditions that can cause your symptoms. First, the pelvis is home for the sigmoid colon, rectum and anus--the three parts that are end of the gastrointestinal system. Here is where feces is stored. It is not uncommon for one to feel a sensation of gas moving as the anal sphincters hold in the feces and the gas "bubbles" to the top. This can be exacerbated by constipation, incomplete digestion (like lactose intolerance) or other intestinal problems. That is to see this can be normal. There are many other important structures that can cause problems in your pelvis. The bladder is stored there. Perforations or tears in the bladder can occur, which can cause sensation of air in the bladder. This often occurs with a fistula to the vagina. The uterus is also in the pelvis which can again create a fistula to other structures and cause this problem. There are many muscles and bones in the area as well--although a bubbling sensation is less likely. I would encourage you to talk to your doctor. While hopefully just gas--this should be investigated.