"Why do I have pain in the hips, knees, and shoulders?"

I've been having really persistent pain in my hips, knees and shoulders. I'm a male, age 18. I don't know what's causing this and I have absolutely no history of any kind of muscle or joint pain, or injury. What should I do?
Joint pains are a common complaint. This can be a serious condition. I would strongly encourage you to see your primary care physician in order to evaluate and potentially treat your symptoms. In general, joint pain is known as arthralgias. This is common, especially in young people, this is caused by normal wear and tear by activities (such as sports). However, this is normally limited to a single joint and normally the person can remember what happened. For example, a sprained ankle from a sports injury. When multiple joints are involved--this is more of a concern. This is known as polyarthralgias. This should be evaluated. One of the big distinction points is if there is swelling or inflammation in the joints. This makes it not just arthralgia (joint pain) but arthritis (joint inflammation). Arthritis can be seen by a swollen, warm, tender joint. If you have polyarthritis (or even polyarthralgias) this is a concern. There are a few disease that should be ruled out. A group is "Autoimmune disorders." For example, rheumatoid arthritis is a condition where the bodies' immune system attacks the joints. Lupus, scleroderma and Mixed Connective Tissue Disease are similar conditions. Other causes include blood disorders, infections or cancers. Back problems can also cause both leg joints to be painful. See your doctor. This should be evaluated.

Nearby Internists

Other Internists