"What causes sore throat, back pains, and nausea?"

I came down with a sore throat last week, and since then I've been having horrible back pains, chills, nausea, etc. I really don't want to go to the doctor but I'm starting to worry that I'm just going to get sicker and sicker? What's wrong with me?
It sounds like you really are sick. I think that you should give your primary care physician a call today and try to get seen right away. If this is not possible, then it is not unreasonable for you to go to the emergency room for further consultation. Overall, it sounds like you have an infection (bacterial or viral). A sore throat most often is due to a viral upper respiratory track infection but can also be do to the flu, strep throat, or mononucleosis. Back pains, chills, and nausea combined with a sore throat during this time of year sounds suspicious of influenza. For this reason you should avoid small children, elderly people, and pregnant women until you get checked out. Strep throat can produce these symptoms and can cause problems in the kidneys, though this doesn't usually result in back pain. Mononucleosis can cause a sore throat, chills, nausea, and an enlarged spleen. Again, back pain is not a common complaint. However, all of these conditions can result in muscle aches, which can manifest as back pain. As you can see, the list of possibilities is long, and some of them require treatment. In addition, the list I just gave you is incomplete. Get to a doctor as soon as you can.

• Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251