ZocdocAnswersIs it true that Ginseng can lower your blood pressure?

Question

Is it true that Ginseng can lower your blood pressure?

I have had hypertension for at least two years, and I want to stop taking medication for it, if at all possible. I read in a forum that ginseng has been known to bring down blood pressure if used correctly. Is this true? If not, are there other herbs that will?

Answer

Unfortunately, there is no evidence that the ginseng root can help lower blood pressure. In contrast, in excess it can actually raise blood pressure. Since high blood pressure over the long term is so deadly for many people, doctors work tirelessly to try and keep their patient's blood pressure in check. Today we have many very safe medications with very few side effects that have been shown to decrease blood pressure, extend people's lives, and prevent debilitating disease. For this reason, no modern allopathic physician would ever recommend an herbal treatment for blood pressure when there are better options. Herbal medicines have hundreds, sometimes thousands of chemicals that are untested. Even if they come from a living thing, they are not necessarily safe. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss these issues. He or she can discuss natural ways that have been scientifically shown to lower your blood pressure. These include weight loss, exercise, reduction in saturated fat consumption, reduction in alcohol consumption, and reduction in salt intake. If all of these measures are taken seriously, you may be able to get your high blood pressure under control and get off the blood pressure medications. Good luck.