How to remove birthmark near eye?

I have a port-wine stain birthmark on my face, just below my right eye. It's very prominent, and I've always been self-conscious about it. I've heard of laser treatments for port-wine stains, but I know that lasers can be dangerous to the eyes. Is removal possible for me, or does the closeness to my eyes make it impossible?
Port wine stains are usually congenital (meaning you are born with it) birth marks which are formed by a proliferation of blood vessels under the skin, giving the area a dark purple discoloration. The can be found everywhere on the body, but they are especially common on the face. The standard treatment for port wine stains these days is bleaching of the stained area with a high intensity laser treatment. This treatment is safe and usually gives excellent results, although it is less effective in adults than in infants and small children. It typically has minimal side effects, such as some local bruising and discomfort. Since port wine stains are usually found on the face, the dermatologists who perform this procedure are highly skilled at operating on the face and around sensitive structures like the eye. Therefore, it is highly likely that you would be a candidate for the procedure. However, in order to confirm this you would first need to set up an appointment with a dermatologist. At that appointment, the dermatologist will determine the extent of your port wine stain and will discuss with you whether performing a laser procedure is safe and the right procedure for you.