Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What causes a pus-growth near the eye?"


I am a guy, age 30, who has been having trouble with this growth right at the outside corner of my left eye. It seemed like a pimple at first, but no matter how many times I drain it, it keeps coming back. What is it? How should I get rid of it?


The answer to this question depends on exactly where this growth is. As you are probably aware, just outside the eye is an unusual location for pimples, especially a recurring one. The best type of physician for you to see about this problem is a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Primary care-doctors near you

Growths at the corner of the eye or on/underneath the eye lid can be caused by an obstruction of one of you eye ducts which normally lubricate the eye. There are multiple different glands at the edge or just underneath the eye lid which can become obstructed and result in a small abscess. A Chalazion is a cyst which develops over one of these glands. Similarly, a stye can also result from infection of one of these ducts. They should be evaluated because sometimes they require antibiotic eye drops or surgical drainage to go away completely. Both of these have the potential to be painful, but they don't have to be. After you primary care physician examines this growth, he or she may decide to refer you to a specialist if surgical management is required. If this is the case, then your doctor may refer you to an ophthalmologist.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.