What causes a pus-growth near the eye?

I am a guy, age 30, who has been having trouble with this growth right at the outside corner of my left eye. It seemed like a pimple at first, but no matter how many times I drain it, it keeps coming back. What is it? How should I get rid of it?
The answer to this question depends on exactly where this growth is. As you are probably aware, just outside the eye is an unusual location for pimples, especially a recurring one. The best type of physician for you to see about this problem is a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. Growths at the corner of the eye or on/underneath the eye lid can be caused by an obstruction of one of you eye ducts which normally lubricate the eye. There are multiple different glands at the edge or just underneath the eye lid which can become obstructed and result in a small abscess. A Chalazion is a cyst which develops over one of these glands. Similarly, a stye can also result from infection of one of these ducts. They should be evaluated because sometimes they require antibiotic eye drops or surgical drainage to go away completely. Both of these have the potential to be painful, but they don't have to be. After you primary care physician examines this growth, he or she may decide to refer you to a specialist if surgical management is required. If this is the case, then your doctor may refer you to an ophthalmologist.

• Dr. Rachel Beda
    Dr. Rachel Beda MD
    613 19th Ave East
    Seattle, WA 98112
  • Dr. Warren Dinges
    Dr. Warren Dinges MD, PhD
    509 Olive Way
    Seattle, WA 98101
  • Dr. Sam Warren
    Dr. Sam Warren MD, MS
    613 19th Ave East
    Seattle, WA 98112

• Dr. Harvey Lerner
    Dr. Harvey Lerner MD
    215 East Main Street
    Smithtown, NY 11787
  • Dr. Martin Glynn
    Dr. Martin Glynn MD
    1525 South Church Street
    Murfreesboro, TN 37130
  • Dr. Ashok Sinha
    Dr. Ashok Sinha DO
    1569 Buford Dr
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043