ZocdocAnswersWhy is my eye twitching?

Question

Why is my eye twitching?

I'm a diabetic woman in my late 20s who has a lot of problems with my eye twitching ans spasming. It always seems to begin after a late night studying, but then sometimes it won't stop for a week. How dangerous is this?

Answer

The first question I would have for you is whether it is your eye that is twitching or the eye lid. Most of the time when people complain of a twitching eye, it is they eye lid that is twitching and spasming. Eye lid twitching is also known as blepharospasm. It is a problem that is common, but rarely does it last for someone's whole life. Most of the time the cause is unknown, but certain triggers seem to contribute. Most people with blepharospasm report worsening symptoms when they are tired or under stress. It also can happen if you take a class of medicines called the benzodiazepines (examples Xanax and Ativan) and are withdrawing from them. While diabetes can cause nerve problems, I do not think this is the issue. Diabetic nerve damage tends to effect the nerves of the feet and hands first. There are no great treatments, but those often patients will respond to Bo-tox injections over the spasming muscle. Initially, the best type of physician for you to see is your primary care physician. He or she will be able to examine your eyes thoroughly and determine if there are any other contributing factors. You may warrant referral to a specialist such as a neurologist. Good luck.