ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do if I have Gastroparesis?

Question

What should I do if I have Gastroparesis?

I'm a 31 yar old guy and I'm pretty sure that I have gastroparesis, because I sometimes vomit after meals, feel full even when I haven't eaten that much, etc. What is my next step? Info online just says 'Control your blood sugar' which is not really helpful.

Answer

As you probably have read online, gastroparesis is a disease where the stomach does not empty properly leading to feelings of fullness early in a meal, nausea, and vomiting. The reason that you have read the advice of "control your blood sugar" is because the disease is mostly found in diabetics. Thus for patients that have the so called "diabetic gastroparesis", controlling blood sugar is the best first step at keeping the disease from getting any worse. The first question I would have for you is if you have been screened for diabetes. If you have and you are not diabetic, then controlling your blood sugar is not the issue. If you have not been screened then you should get screened. There are other causes of gastroparesis that are more rare. They include neurologic disorders that affect the autonomic nervous system. In addition, injury to the nerves from an abdominal surgery or spinal cord injury could cause it. If none of these apply, then most likely this is not what you have, and you will need to be evaluated for other causes of your symptoms. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. After a thorough physical exam and detailed history of your symptoms, your doctor will be able to help you take the next step towards feeling better.