How would I know if I had a blood clot?

I'm a 33 year old guy, and I had ACL surgery 6 months ago. Since then, I've had on-and-off excruciating pain lower down in my calf. Could this be a blood clot from the surgery? How would I know for sure?
As you may know, blood clots in deep veins are very common after orthopedic surgeries. Most blood clots that form after these surgeries happen soon after the operation, but can persist for a while. Typical symptoms of a deep blood clot is pain in the calf (like you have), swelling in that one leg, or they may not have any symptoms. The pain is not typically on and off, but that does not rule out a clot. Determining if you have a blood clot in your leg is important. This is because clots in your deep veins have the potential to move to your lungs (as in a pulmonary embolism). This can be life threatening and can be prevented by proper treatment if the clot is found. The best type of doctor to see for this problem is a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. He or she will take a very close look at your leg. Depending on your history and the findings on your physical exam, your doctor may decide to do a simple blood test to look for a clot, or do a special ultrasound on your leg. This will help your doctor determine if there is a clot. Good luck.

Nearby Internists

Other Internists