Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What's wrong with my earlobes?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat's wrong with my earlobes?


I have these kind of lumps in both of my earlobes. They're sensitive like pimples, but they're really deep and I can't squeeze them out. What can I do to get rid of them?


The most common cause of lumps inside the earlobe would be scar tissue that forms around ear piercings. This is usually felt as a hard, mobile lump of tissue that surrounds where the ear piercing was or is. This is a normal reaction to having a piercing, and there is not much that can be done about it. The important thing is not to squeeze or irritate the area, which is likely just to make it hurt; if you leave the lumps alone they should be painless. On the other hand, if you do not have any ear piercing then the next most common possibility would be a cyst. Cysts are common all over the body under the skin, and they can even occur in the ear lobes. They are usually benign and do not require any treatment at all; again, not squeezing or irritating them is important. If, however, the areas become red, inflamed, or drain pus then you may need to see a doctor about treating a potential infection or, if this recurs, getting the cysts taken out. On the other hand, if they are painless and not visible from the outside they do not need to be treated. As always, feel free to talk with your primary care doctor if you have further questions about this issue!

Need more info?

See an internist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.