Is it true that the Gardasil shot can damage your fertility?

I have two friends that are both getting the Gardasil shot, and I'm considering getting it myself until I read online that it can lower your chances of succesffully having children in the future. Is this true? I wouldn't consider it if so.
I'm glad you asked this question. It is important for there to be an open line of communication between doctors and patients about the risks and benefits of vaccines. There is NO evidence that the Gardasil vaccine has any negative effect on women or men's fertility. The websites and people who post these claims are not physicians or scientists and probably don't know much at all about the real risks and benefits of vaccine. In terms of your fertility, Gardasil is much more likely to preserve your ability to get pregnant not prevent it. As you may know, HPV infection can result in cervical cancer. What you may not realize is that millions of women have to undergo biopsies and surgical procedures every year to remove small areas of cancer from their cervices to prevent spread of the cancer. These procedures carry the risk of damaging the cervix and preventing it from being able to keep a pregnancy. Thus, the vaccine against HPV has the potential to prevent the need for these procedures preventing problems in the future. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN, whoever you see for your feminine health care. Discuss what real risks there are with the shot (very few) vs the benefits (quite a few). I think after receiving all the facts, you will choose to get the shot. Good luck.

• Dr. Ruben Ruiz
    Dr. Ruben Ruiz MD
    3012 San Gabriel Blvd.
    Rosemead, CA 91770
  • Dr. Julien Dedier
    Dr. Julien Dedier MD
    725 Albany St
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021