What are the risks and advantages of abdominoplasty?

I'm going to have a C-section, and I want to have an abdominoplasty at the same time. How safe and effective can I expect this procedure to be?
Abdominoplasty (also known as a "tummy tuck") is a plastic surgery procedure in which excess skin and fat is removed from the front of the abdomen, resulting in a firmer, more toned appearance. Often, abdominoplasty also involves fixing any weakness or separation of the abdominal muscles that may occur with aging, fluctuations in weight, and pregnancy. The procedure is usually very well tolerated, but it should not be performed immediately after a C-section. Usually, plastic surgeons will recommend that you wait a few months after your C-section at least until your weight has stabilized and your body recovered from the pregnancy; this will result in a better final outcome from the abdominoplasty. Abdominoplasty is very effective in repairing sagging skin and weak muscles. It is not, however, a safe alternative to weight loss and exercise; in fact abdominoplasty should generally be postponed if a weight loss need is anticipated, as rapid fluctuations in weight will make the overall final effect less optimal. Also abdominoplasty will not cure stretch marks, if that is a major concern for you. Risks of the procedure include bleeding, infection, scar tissue formation, and blood clots. Smokers are more likely to have these complications than nonsmokers. If you have any further questions about the procedure, you should set up an appointment with your plastic surgeon.

Other Plastic Surgeons