ZocdocAnswersHow can I remove a single large scar on my nose?

Question

How can I remove a single large scar on my nose?

I have a very prominent scar from a pimple on the tip of my nose that looks a lot like a very enlarged pore, and the whole area is kind of sunken. What are my options in terms of getting rid of this?

Answer

There are multiple options for scar revision, many of which are quick and straight forward. Depending on the size of the scar and the color of the skin with relation to the rest of the skin on your face, some scars can be revised with simple in office procedures such as a dermabrasion. This procedure involves removing a thin layer of skin and then allowing the skin to grow back in from the sides and underneath. The results are usually excellent with atrophic scars, which is what you seem to be describing, but there is usually some redness of the involved area for up to a year. Laser treatment works in a similar manner, and has similar side effects. Either one would be an excellent starting point. Common side effects with either are slight changes in the color of the new skin that grows in to the affected area, but even this will usually resolve with time. Depending on the depth of the scar, sometimes it is necessary to do a small incision to remove the deepest part of the scar prior to dermabrasion or laser treatment, and some require a small flap of thin skin to be placed over the area a few weeks before the dermabrasion. These are just a few ideas for what is commonly used to treat acne scars. There are many options, and finding a good surgeon, or even a dermatologist, will be a great place to start.