Fatigue from pneumonia?

I had a bad case of pneumonia which I have been recovering from slowly over the last month. Now I'm basically better in my lungs, but I just can't shake the fatigue. How long should fatigue persist for> At what point do I go to the doctor about this?/
It sounds like you had a very severe case of pneumonia. I'm glad to hear that your lungs have recovered. Your question about the post-infectious fatigue is tough to answer. Most people that have a severe infection experience fatigue that lingers after the infection is gone. The time period varies greatly from a few days after the infection is cleared, up to a few months. In some rare case, the fatigue never goes away and patients end up getting diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome (please don't worry about this right now). I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician in about 1-2 months (total 2-3 months from pneumonia) if you are not completely back to normal by then. An earlier appointment would be fine as well, but the earlier you see your doctor, the more likely he or she will want to wait and see. In the mean time, try to keep as normal of a schedule as possible. Make sure you are sleeping 7-8 hours every night. Try improving your diet to include mostly fruits and vegetables and make sure to get 20-30 minutes of exercise daily. All of these things together should help you shake the fatigue faster.

• Dr. Sam Warren
    Dr. Sam Warren MD, MS
    613 19th Ave East
    Seattle, WA 98112
  • Dr. Robert Goode
    Dr. Robert Goode MD
    8015 South East 28th Street
    Mercer Island, WA 98040
  • Dr. Warren Dinges
    Dr. Warren Dinges MD, PhD
    509 Olive Way
    Seattle, WA 98101