Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Who should I see for urinary problems?"

ZocdocAnswersWho should I see for urinary problems?


I have been dealing with these conditions for some time but for the past 2-4 months, I have been wetting the bed at least once ever two weeks and have occasionally wet myself moments after my body indicates that I need to urinate. I am a 26 year old female, 5'3, 195lbs with no severe medical condition or take any medications. My last obgyn visit was three (3) months ago (I did not bring up this problem then because the conditions were not as frequent and it did not come to mind). Should I revisit my obgyn for this? or should I visit a urologist?


Your symptoms sound very distressing. What you are describing sounds like it could be a bad case of urge incontinence (also known as overactive bladder syndrome). It occurs when the bladder's muscles inappropriately contract causing the sudden urge to urinate and difficulty preventing it from coming out. Most of the time, the cause of this is unknown. It can be treated with medications that relax this muscle preventing it from forcing urine out against your control. However in some cases, it can be a result of another disease. Some women your age develop a syndrome called interstitial cystitis, a poorly understood disease with many bladder symptoms. In rare cases, this can be a sign of a central nervous system disorder such as multiple sclerosis. OBGYNs specialize in female health, and many of them do prescribe medicines for urge incontinence. If you choose, it would not be necessarily wrong for you to first see this doctor since you are familiar with him or her. However, given how young you are, I would recommend you seeing a specialist in this situation. I would suggest you schedule an appointment to see a urologist. This way you can be sure that you are getting properly diagnosed and treated. Good luck.

Need more info?

See an urologist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.